TYPES OF FEMINISM
Feminism is advocating for women's rights and equality between the sexes, so what are it's types?
1. INTERSECTIONAL FEMINISM- It is the understanding of how women's overlapping identities — including race, class, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation and disability status — impact the way they experience oppression and discrimination.
2. TRANSFEMINISM- It is a movement by and for trans women who view their liberation to be intrinsically linked to the liberation of all women(all self-identified women, regardless of assigned sex) and beyond.
3. WOMEN OF COLOR FEMINISM- It is a form of feminism that seeks to clarify and combat the unique struggles women of color face.
4. EMPOWERMENT FEMINISM- It seeks to increase the personal, interpersonal and political power of oppressed and marginalized populations for individual and collective transformation.
5. COMMODITY FEMINISM- Also known as femvertising, it uses (a version of) feminism to market products to women.Impressively, companies convince us that by consuming the product we are supporting the feminist cause. E.g.- DOVE's Real Beauty Campaign aims to celebrate women of color and portrays their product doesn't differentiate between different forms of beauty in terms of color, shape, etc.
6. EQUITY/CONSERVATIVE FEMINISM- It focuses on legal equality between men and women, while "gender feminism" focuses on disempowering women by portraying them as perpetual victims of the patriarchy.
7. LIBERAL FEMINISM- It is an individualistic form of feminist theory, which focuses on women's ability to maintain their equality and integrate themselves into the mainstream society through their own actions and choices.
8. RADICAL FEMINISM- It aims to bring in fundamental changes in the society where male supremacy is eliminated in all social and economic contexts.
9. MARXIST AND SOCIALIST FEMINISM- It insists that the only way to end the oppression of women is to overthrow the capitalist system.
10. CULTURAL FEMINISM- It is based on an essentialist view of the differences between women and men and explains how male-defined constructions of “woman” devalue female traits. Female energy is of a more cooperative, caring, and nonviolent nature compared to that of men's aggressiveness. They regard female traits as superior as they are beneficial in work,governing the state,etc.
11. ECO-FEMINISM- It is much more spiritual than political or theoretical in nature. It sees environmentalism and is a movement that sees a connection between the exploitation and degradation of the natural world and the subordination and oppression of women.
12. I-FEMINISM- Individualist feminism encourages women to take full authority for their own lives. It calls for freedom, choice, and personal responsibility. I-feminists want legal equality, and they offer the same respect to men. Everyone must be respected for their sexual choices and has moral jurisdiction/self-ownership over his/her own body and over the products of his or her own labor.